About the tour
Every resident and even passersby in Cataluña know that minutes after their arrival they will find themselves tasting “golden pearls” in a tall glass, practice saying “salute” while holding a glass of Cava, with the festive initiation of concert life about to begin.
A short trip from Barcelona airport leads to the Penendes district known as the worldwide capital of Cava. Tradition, history, bubbles in cellars, the existence of local species constitute the winning triangle for the creation of Cava wine.
Starting with wineries of large dimensions, and of impressive architectural design, to private, modest and rural homes, there is the creation of qualitative wines in common land. Amongst the items promised to the visitors of the area:
- Chocolate and Cava – a perfect and pleasurable combination of tastes.
- Traditional music festivals that include live music amongst the vineyards, morning and night in autumn and spring.
- Culinary arts is the strong point of the place, where you are offered a feast of the palate in a restaurant located within the winery!
- A visit to the house of the musician Pablo Casals, a cello player, and Catalonian conductor and composer, where you can go back in time to the period in which Spain knew of dramatic moments, and the musicians became the enthusiastic supporters of the republic.
- Natural wines, free of additives and intervention, fascinating wines, and a visit to the organic vineyards that are leaders in the world-wide revolution of natural wines.
The prestigious and most enchanting wines are in Cataluña in which avant-garde, innovative wineries are embedded alongside traditional wineries, that have been working the unique land for many generations. A deep familiarity, with both sides demonstrates, the wealth of the area and the power of the wines. We are talking about deep red wines and white wines with the soul of red. Black slate land gives the wines mineral value, something that exists only in Priorat.
Visit alleys of tiny and pastoral villages such as Siurana, Porrera, and Poboleda.
Taste high quality olive oil straight from the ancient oil press, local sheep cheese and sausages. You can sail in the kayaks in the Siurana lake, and enjoy a glass of red wine and sunset from the most beautiful observation post in the area.
The capital of Priorat, the town of Falset, offers you a peek at the ancient vineyard that specializes in creating remarkable vermouth – aromatic, rich and scented. In the same city in the middle of August each year is a highly recommended music festival. After two pleasurable days full of content and activity in this area, on your way back to Barcelona you can stop at the port Sitges, and successfully end the vacation with a fish restaurant at the beach, and visit the alleys of the ancient city Sitges, which draws tens of thousands of tourists in a year, and justifiably so.
Are you planning on staying in Barcelona another night or two? A Tapas tour with culinary experts, and local night life, musical shows, wine bars that you should not miss, and many other local secrets that will change your Spanish experience to one that is never forgotten!